Independent living communities

Are you aged over 60? (or over 55 and on certain benefits)? Is your home getting to be too much to look after? Do you fancy a change of scene, where you can live in a ready-made community with people just like you, with lots of opportunities for socialising?

We have independent living communities (sheltered housing) in most areas of the city. The communities consist of self-contained homes, each with their own front door. There are one and two-bedroom flats, and bungalows.

We’ve refurbished the communal areas of our independent living schemes through our ‘Grander Designs’ programme. The stylish and contemporary lounges provide a warm and comfortable environment for relaxation and socialising.

If you are interested in gardening, you’re welcome to work with our grounds maintenance team to look after areas of the gardens or plant or grow vegetables.

We give preference to anyone over 60, although you can apply if you’re over 55 and you get Disability Living Allowance (DLA) or a Personal Independence Payment (PIP).

Everyone living in our independent living communities can be linked to the Nottingham on Call emergency alarm service. This provides help 24 hours a day, seven days a week at the pull of a cord or the press of a button, to give you that extra reassurance that someone’s there if you need help.

We have independent living communities across the city. Have a look at the links on the right to find more.

Empty properties in independent living communities are advertised on HomeLink

Watch our film

If you're thinking about independent living, but you're not sure what it might be like, watch this short film A new lease of life with independent living and hear from some of our lovely residents who are already living in our communities.

Take a Seat

We support Take a Seat, a campaign that encourages businesses and community premises in Nottingham to offer older people a chance to sit down and catch their breath when they’re out and about.

Anyone is welcome to take a seat at any of our housing offices or independent living schemes.